As a racing club we welcome new members with an interest in competitive paddle sport. Our four-session introductory courses for juniors are designed to teach you the main techniques and give you confidence in the boat. We have coaches dedicated specifically to beginner training who will guide and support you as you make your first strokes in kayaking.
These courses take place on Saturdays or in School holidays and run from April to September.
Juniors attending one of our holiday time or after school courses will be able to apply for full club membership following the course.
We also offer free come-and-try-it sessions for juniors and families. Following these sessions, if you want to take up kayaking as a sport, you can join the club and initially paddle regularly on Saturdays with a beginners group. As your capability improves there are other training sessions throughout the week you can join.
“…it was great to see such an enthusiastic, friendly and lively club… we both came away very impressed..”
|15-17 April (AM)
27-29 May (AM)
29-31 July (AM)
19-21 Aug (AM)
|Junior Beginners Course||£50 – apply email@example.com|
|15 April (PM)
16 April (PM)
27 May (PM)
28 May (PM)
|Junior Taster Session
– For children aged 9 -17 who have never paddled at Wey before
– Able to swim 25 meters
|Free – apply firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Junior Beginners After School 5 Week Course||£35 – apply email@example.com|
|25 April (PM)
2 May (PM)
20 June (PM)
27 June (PM)
|Family Taster Session||Free – apply firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Family Beginners 3 Week Course
(follow up after attending Taster Day)
|Free to email@example.com|
Are there any fitness pre-requisites?
What should I wear?
Beginners should bring:
- Thin, quick drying shorts or leggings.
- Thin quick drying T-shirts and long-sleeve tops.
- Cagoule or other thin wind/waterproof top.
- Cap/sunglasses (inexpensive!)
- Aqua shoes, wetsuit socks or similar soft soled shoes (NOT trainers or crocs).
- A change of clothes and footwear (you will get wet), a towel and shower kit.
- Any cuts/wounds should be covered with a waterproof plaster whenever possible.